Friday, May 18, 2012

Best Hamburgers I ever Made

I finally am learning how to cook meat properly by following cooking times instead of waiting for it to just look really brown. Yay! No more dry, crusty, flavorless meat. My husband is really happy about this. Seriously though, do not over cook your meat. It is ok for beef and pork to be kinda pink. Plus the flavor is just 100 times better.

Anyways, here are the best burgers I have ever made in my life. Mine are cooked medium. I know that to get medium I cooked these 3/4 inch thick burger patties for 3-4 minutes on each side. Obviously adjust the cooking time according to your meat preference.

Ingredients:

3 lbs 80% fresh ground beef

1/2 of a really big red onion chopped up

BBQ sauce. I used a smoky bourbon flavor but next time I'm going to try and make a apple cinnamon BBQ sauce that I found on the internet. What makes these burgers so good is the sweet and smoky flavor from the BBQ sauce. 

Sliced Cheese. I used a cheese blend of cheddar and mozzarella. But use what you like.

Bacon. I used an applewood smoked bacon. Again I was trying to incorporate some sweetness which goes great with the BBQ sauce. Or try a maple or brown sugar flavored bacon.

Hamburger Buns

Olive Oil & Basting Brush

Salt & Pepper


Directions:


Dice up the red onion and saute in 2 tbs of olive oil until soft and translucent. Set aside to cool down a bit.
Cook your bacon. Cook it on a medium heat setting and do not touch it so much. Flip them over only once. Just let it cook until it gets a nice brown color on the cooking side and then flip over. Whatever you do, don't crank up the heat or you will burn the bacon quickly. Once done, set on some paper towels to drain.


Add the cooled onions to the ground beef and mix. Divide the meat into patties that are 3/4 inch thick. The 3 lbs I had gave me 7 burgers.

Cook on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes for medium rare.


After the first 3-4 minutes flip the burgers to the other side. Then top the cooked side of the burger with a slice of cheese and slather on the BBQ sauce. While your waiting for the burgers to finish cooking toast the hamburger buns in the toaster.


Once the burgers are cooked through to your liking, its time to assemble the hamburger. I took a slice of bacon and cut it in half. Then I put it in a cross formation on top of the burger. Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment