Wednesday, October 24, 2012

A kale salad everyone will like. So good it is my favorite salad of all time.

I'm not a big fan of salads. In my opinion they are flavorless and doused in tons of dressing that they aren't even healthy either.

I was inspired to like this particular kale salad recipe that I have concocted from a recipe that I learned in a cooking class at Truffles & Trifles in Orlando Florida.

It is the same kind of idea, I just change up the ingredients to follow what is currently seasonal. Now that it is fall time, kale is coming into season.

I think kale is a greatly misrepresented and underused green. It is extremely versatile and super healthy. You would use it just like you would spinach.

Kale is known to be slightly bitter. Which is why it is not really used in salads because people prefer to cook it down in a soup or something to mask the bitter taste. Its not that bitter people. It doesn't taste gross I promise. Especially when you pair it in a salad that is bursting with flavor and hits all flavor and texture  profiles from sweet and salty, to soft and crunchy.



Kale Salad with Fall Seasonal Toppings
Basic Salad Ingredients
Kale - washed, dried, and torn into small pieces. I wash all my produce in vinegar and water.
Fruity type of vinaigrette, I used raspberry vinaigrette.
Crumbled blue cheese- gives tons of flavor and the salty profile. I don't recommend using a different cheese.
Chopped nut of preference, I used chopped walnuts.

Take it to the next level by adding these toppings:
Chopped apples or pears (crunchy & sweet). You can toss the apples or pears with some lemon or lime juice so they don't turn brown.
Sliced mandarin oranges, or just regular oranges (sweet & citrus)
Grapes sliced in half (sweet & juicy)
Dried fruit pieces, like dried cranberries (sweet)
Pomegranate seeds (sweet, juicy, & crunchy)



I know this salad sounds weird. I thought the same thing when it was made in the cooking class. Except the cooking class used a bagged mixture of salad greens, not just kale. I almost didn't try it. But I'm so glad I did. I love how all the flavors combine and its a perfect fall time salad. This salad may sound fancy, but its so easy to make. Just chop everything into small pieces, even the kale, since most of the ingredients are very small. I eat this like every other day at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment