Saturday, March 2, 2013

Honey, Mosacto, and Orange Vinaigrette

Have you ever made your own salad vinegrette? I havent until today and I am shocked by how easy, quick, and delicious it is! Why havent I done thins before? Never, ever again, will I ever buy the pre-made stuff.

The vinaigrette. Served with my usual salad, and a mimosa using moscato.
My usual salad consist of a mix of greens, fruit, nuts, dried cranberries, blue cheese and apples. This time I had a mix of kale, spinach, and bibb lettuce (from my garden, which I harvested yesterday), strawberries, blueberries, dried cranberries, diced red delicious apples, walnuts, and grated Parmesan cheese (because I didnt have blue cheese, but any salty cheese works in this type of salad).


I'm all about eliminating processed foods and chemicals, but I've been using the same raspberry vinaigrette, which got a rating of D on the Fooducate app. It got this rating because it was full of fructose and other bad stuff. But I kept using it because I just never bothered making my own.

What I like about making your own vinaigrette, is that you can make enough for just one personal sized salad, or a lot if you need it. Which is great, because its all natural and wont last over a week in the fridge since it doesn't have all the artificial preservatives like store bought vinaigrette do.

This vinaigrette is a combination of a few vinaigrette recipes I saw. But I loved it! Especially in my fruit type of salads that I post about all the time. I used Moscato in my recipe. You could easily use any sweet white wine or champagne. Or if you dont have any wine, you could use a sparkling juice, or just plain juice or any kind of fruit. White grape juice would work awesome in this.



Honey, Moscato, and Orange Vinaigrette

Ingredients
1 TBS honey. If yours is kind of hard, pop it in the mircowave for 20 seconds.
1 TBS moscato, other sweet/fruity wines, or grape juice, etc...
1/2 TBS Red wine vinegar, you could also use any fruit infused vinegars
1/2 TBS fresh lemon juice
2 TBS olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of freshly cracked black pepper
pinch of orange zest, optional but tastes great. every time I eat an orange at home, I zest some of the peel and put it in a small container that goes in my freezer. Thus I have orange zest all year round. You could do this with other zest type fruits, lemons, limes, etc...

Mix it all together until it emulsifies. You can whisk by hand or use a food processor.

This recipe yieled about 1/4 cup of vinegrette.

It should last about 1 week in the fridge.

Really, any kind of vinaigrette is an oil and an acid mixed together. Typically olive oil or canola oil is used. People use vinegars, juices, lemon juice, etc.. for the acid part. Then add some salt and pepper. I'm sure you probably always have the ingredients in your pantry to make a basic vinaigrette so no excuses!



No comments:

Post a Comment